Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Technology Tidbit Tuesday--Spelling City

It's Tuesday again! Are you tired of grading all those spelling tests? Don't you wish you could assign all your spelling groups the same homework with their own words? Look no further, Spelling City is your answer! The link is http://www.spellingcity.com/ . This is absolutely one of my favorite online tools.
In my 6th grade classroom I use the Words Their Way spelling lists. I usually have 4 different spelling groups. This website (premium membership only) allows me to sort lists into groups and put students into those groups. This way, I can assign the same homework (I can print it from the website or assign it online), same test, or same practice games but students are using the words for their level! Each student as their own login and password so they can study at home as well.
My favorite feature is the test. The students put their headphones on and are read the word and the sentence. The sentence is already in the system, but I can add my own if I choose. Their test is graded immediately, they know the outcome, and then I can manage all test scores with my teacher membership--I grade nothing! I did input all the spelling lists, I just did it once a week last year, but now they are all saved and ready to go for years to come.
There is a free version that you can test run to see if you like the site. The downside is you can't organize your lists or group them, and it does not record their spelling scores. With the free membership you are also limited on games and worksheets for your students.
If you are looking for a time saver, fun website, a study tool students can use at home, or a way top incorporate technology into spelling, go check this out!

PS, did I mention it has a vocabulary portion to the website as well? You can also assign all vocab tests and homework! Bonus!

No comments:

Post a Comment