Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Throwback Thursday--a day early.

I know what you're thinking, "It's not Thursday!". Well, we are going out of town in a couple hours so I thought I would do tomorrow's post, today. Today's teaching moment that reminds me about the joy of teaching comes from my first year of teaching. I was fortunate enough to get grants, money from my school, and legislative money for new teachers that I was able to stock a COMPLETELY empty room (except for some glue bottles) with first year essentials. With a little help from my mom, other teachers and the school/grant money I was given, my room was looking pretty nice! One subject I love to teach is art (GASP!). Art is not in schools enough today! I am not an excellent artist by any means, but it is fun to learn new things and get in touch with our creative sides. I fear art will one day be taken from us in education because we are pushed so much to do other subjects. Well, my personally belief is some kids need that creative outlet and twice a month won't hurt us intellectually, in fact it will help our brains grow more creatively! Anyway, that was a tangent. The point is, my first year I also bought tons of art supplies, I like to use different mediums and sixth graders can be very artistic, so it is fun to see their creations. One day I was pulling open my art drawer and another student came up to me. She noticed  I was getting out supplies for art. I guess kids just think these supplies just appear or that every teacher comes equipped with water colors. Whatever the case, she paused, looked up at me, and said, "Mrs. Kwant, I am so proud of you!". She was thrilled to see all the art supplies we would be using throughout the year. I took it as she was proud and excited to have new supplies to try new art projects. Whether that was the case or not, I was happy she was proud of me!
Sometimes 6th graders don't get the credit they deserve. In our elementary school they are the oldest, have the biggest attitudes, and tend to "rule the school." Deep down, they are sweet, want to be loved, enjoy learning, and are seriously hard workers with some pretty funny personalities! I love my job and am happy to reflect on the moments that make it all worth it for me.
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment