Thursday, June 13, 2013

Throwback Thursday

This is the day I look back and reminisce about all the moments that remind me why I love to teach. This particular moment happened at the beginning of this past school year. It was the beginning of September and I was a new mom. My son is now 15 months old, but at the time he was only 6 months old. I had a particular hard morning, Cam was crying when I left and I felt so guilty leaving him ( I don't know if that feeling will ever go away). Arriving at school wiping away tears, I walked into my classroom and got the room ready for the morning. As the kids filed in, a student came up to me with a gift: a Popsicle stick house she had made. I imagine this house took her a couple of hours to make the night before as she thought of all the little details (porch included) to add to the house. My heart melted, as it always does when students give me little things like this, and I accepted it happily. As I looked inside the "Front door" I discovered a note written by the student. This girl was going to be moving at the end of the week, and while I had only been her teacher for 4 short weeks she was thinking of me. A portion of the note read, "Even though I don't know you very well, I think you are a great mom." If my heart melted before with the sight of the stick house, it was now a puddle on the floor mixed with tears, because little did this girl know that earlier that morning I was so sad to have left my little boy and she was writing me notes, words I needed to hear :) What a cutie! While it is still hard to leave my son at home, I appreciate the love my students have for me as well! Teaching is not just a "professional" job, it is a job filled with love, honor, care and hard work. It's nice to have those reminders about why we do what we do!

3 comments:

  1. I just found you on the forum and am now following your blog. Your products look excellent! Laura

    Read-Write-Create

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! I teach first and have 2 sons (9 & 12). It's so great to hear about 6th graders still having that sweetness and thoughtfulness for their teachers. Your blog looks really cute! I found you through the TPT forums.
    ~Melissa
    Teacher Treasure Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback! I am glad to hear that you found me through the forums, I like participating in those. I should have started doing that sooner!

    ReplyDelete